Talk at Duke: Bird Navigational Strategies

Date sent:      	Wed, 20 Sep 2000 10:35:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:           	Sheila Patek <snp2@acpub.duke.edu>
To:             	eeob@acpub.duke.edu
Subject:        	Talk: Bird Navigational Strategies

Please note the following additional seminar this week, hosted by Chris
Sturdy (postdoc in the Nowicki lab).

***How do migratory birds find their way? -with an emphasis on orientation
        strategies of first year night migrating songbirds.***

        By Henrik Ø. Mouritsen, Ph.D. (Biology, Odense University)

     11:00 am Friday September 22  Room 144 Biological Sciences Building

Abstract
The talk will be an up to date review of our current knowledge of how
birds are able to navigate between their breeding and wintering
grounds. It will include a review of all the compasses used by birds,
especially how their celestial and magnetic compasses work. The
bird's endogenous circannual clock will also be touched upon. The
major part of the talk, however, will deal with the question of how
birds integrate this time and spacial information into an orientation
strategy. In other words: Do birds use only a clock and a
compass(es), or are they able to perform true map-navigation? In the
end, I will be happy to try answering any questions from the audience
about any aspect of bird navigation.

Charles W. "Will" Cook                  w 919-660-7423
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook            cwcook@duke.edu
Box 90340, Biology Dept., Duke Univ., Durham, NC 27708