tracking Ospreys migrating through NC

Greetings,
	If you've ever wondered where the Ospreys migrating through NC are
coming from, you can now find out about at least a few of them. Working
with The Raptor Center at the Univ. of MN, I put two satellite transmitters
on a pair of Ospreys that were nesting on Martha's Vineyard in late June of
this year. Mark Martell, director of the project, tagged a number of other
birds on the east coast, from Florida to Maine.
	In the small-world coincidence department, the female Osprey Mark
and I tagged in June spent an afternoon fishing in Lake Norman, the large
reservoir just 20 miles from my home. Hmmm, was she looking for me to seek
some revenge for having strapped that backpack on her?
	If you want to follow the migration (and interesting post-breeding
dispersal behavior) of the two Vineyard birds, go to
http://www.birdsofprey.org/migmap1.htm

	To see what other Ospreys are doing, click on the following:
http://www.raptor.cvm.umn.edu/newwebdev/meeen/highway/99-00/datahp99.html
and then click on any of the birds.
	Some of the interesting results: note how far inland many of the
birds are migrating. Also note that the males banded in Maine, as well as
the male from Martha's Vineyard, are still on or near their breeding
grounds, while their females are well on their way to South America (or
wherever they're heading).

	Enjoy,

	Rob Bierregaard

Rob Bierregaard

				Phones: 704 333 2405
Biology Department			704 547 3499
UNC-Charlotte			Faxes:	704 333 2404
9201 University City Blvd.		704 547 3128
Charlotte NC 28223-0001		rbierreg@email.uncc.edu

	http://www.bioweb.uncc.edu/bierregaard/