Cooper's Hawk and a Squirrel

Hello Everyone

I just joined the list and thought I would share this mornings event.

I teach at Millbrook High in north Raleigh.

Outside our large picture window is a large oak and 2 picnic tables. During
Second Period a Cooper's Hawk landed on one table while a Grey Squirrel sat
chattering on the other. After a short discussion, the hawk made a few
feeble passes as he chased the squirrel up into the tree, all the while, the
squirrel continued to show an attitude toward the hawk.

Some of the class followed me outside and we had a great viewing of the hawk
as he bounced around the limbs of the big oak tree.

I have seen the hawk a few times out in the soccer field pestering crows,
but this was a real close-up treat.

FYI - I teach AP Environmental Science and Physical Science, grad. from NCSU
'74 with BS Wildlife Biology.

Brian T. Murphy   http://brmurphy.home.mindspring.com/
Millbrook High School    http://schools.wcpss.net/MillbrookHigh
Raleigh, NC USA