Outer Banks CBC Field Trip

Despite early morning poor weather conditions, the Outer Banks CBC Field Trip
was held on Saturday, October 7, 2000.  The small group of six participants
met at the old Coast Guard Station at Oregon Inlet at 7:00 am to get an early
start.  The wind was about 15-20 out of the north mixed with intermittent
rain, sometimes a bit more than just a sprinkle.  The temperature were fairly
warm but cooled as the day progressed.  Later the sun was all that was in the
sky and it warmed nicely.

We looked around the Coast Guard Station for a while and headed down to the
north dike of North Pond, but very few migrants were showing themselves at
either place.  We headed up to Bodie Island woods near the Lighthouse and did
find migrant warblers there.  After working that area for some time, we moved
on to the north side of Roanoke Island at the pond site within Fort Raleigh
National Historic Site.  We found more migrant warblers there.

The list of birds we saw throughout the day follows:

Pied-billed Grebe
Brown Pelican
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Little Blue Heron
Black-crowned Night Heron
White Ibis
Canada Goose
Green-winged Teal
American Black Duck
Northern Pintail
Blue-winged Teal
Osprey
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Merlin
Semipalmated Plover
American Avocet
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs
Willet
Marbled Godwit
Sanderling
Dowitcher spp.
Laughing Gull
Ring-billed Gull
Herring Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Royal Tern
Rock Dove
Mourning Dove
Belted Kingfisher
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Blue Jay
American Crow
Fish Crow
Carolina Chickadee
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Brown-headed Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
House Wren
Winter Wren
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Gray Catbird
Northern Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher
Cedar Waxwing
European Starling
Red-eyed Vireo
Nashville Warbler
Northern Parula
Magnolia Warbler
Cape May Warbler
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Blackburnian Warbler
Pine Warbler
Palm Warbler
Blackpoll Warbler
American Redstart
Common Yellowthroat
Scarlet Tanager
Northern Cardinal
Blue Grosbeak
Eastern Towhee
Bobolink
Red-winged Blackbird
Common Grackle
Boat-tailed Grackle
House Finch

If we count correctly that is 72 species, pretty good considering the wind
and rain early in the day, and wind all day.  We all had a great time.

Jeff Lewis
Roanoke Island, NC

Keith Watson
Kill Devil Hills, NC