SRS Sharp-tailed and Grasshopper Sparrows (& rail link)

Hi folks, (please reply to capito@hotmail.com NOT skua99)

FIRST: see the ARKENSAS archives at the following site for inland rail
updates:

http://birdingonthe.net/birdmail.html.

SECOND: I mentioned some grassy Carolina Bays during the earlier "inland
Black Rail" discussion. A brief visit to one of these bays produced few
birds, but state birds none-the-less. I'm not yet certain of their status on
site. They were:

Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow - 2
Grasshopper Sparrow - 1

There was also an Eastern Meadowlark there. I could easily see many more
individuals of these sparrow species as well as Henslow's using the bays and
perhaps rails when the conditions are wetter. Perhaps spring migration
during a non-drought period. We'll see.

LASTLY: 7 Swamp Sparrows and at least 10 Song Sparrows were hanging out in a
wet powerline cut on the SRS site as well.

Paul Champlin
New Ellenton, SC
reply to capito@hotmail.com