Re: the new bird guides

on 10/12/2000 10:02, steven.shultz@us.pwcglobal.com at
steven.shultz@us.pwcglobal.com wrote:

> With that said, the Sibley book fills a niche left open by other birding
> texts.
> The treatment of plumage variation by age and range is unsurpassed.  As others
> have mentioned, this is not a fieldguide but rather a reference.

I just got it today and I agree.  I've a casual backyard birdwatcher for
years but have become more avid in the last few years.    He gives the best
advice for birders - obersve first and identify the behavior and field
markings before you run to a guide.  That said, having all colors,
plummages, age differences, etc., on the same page takes a lot of confusion
out of identification.  He even makes the 'confusing fall warblers' (a bain
for novice and experienced birders alike) a lot more familiar.

Bravo to Sibley!

-- James Wilson
820 1/2 Buckingham Road
Columbia, SC 29205