FULVOUS WHISTLING DUCKS: Pea Island NWR

On Saturday October 28, Jeff Lewis and I saw 8 Fulvous Whistling Ducks in
North Pond of Pea Island.  They were resting on one of the small islands near
the back side of North Pond.  While we watched them, they began to preen.
Approximately 15 minutes later, the ducks took to the water and mixed in with
other hundreds of teal, pintail, and wigeon.  Their tawny coloring was still
easy to pick up with binoculars.

The FWD's were reported first on Thursday October 26 by a US FWS employee
conducting waterfowl surveys.  Jeff Lewis could not find them on Friday.
Checking the Visitor Center bird observation clipboard revealed that the
birds were seen twice earlier today.  One report suggested 12-15 ducks, but
we found only 8.

Jeff also reported a good flight of migrants at the Old Coast Guard Station
this morning.

Keith Watson
Kill Devil Hills