Selasphorus sp. in Greenwood, SC

While raking leaves in my back yard yesterday (Sat.) afternoon I noticed a
hummingbird perched in an elm so I had a good excuse to stop raking and do
some bird watching. I was able to study the bird for about an hour with
binoculars and scope in the fading light and drizzle. It repeatedly visited
my feeders and a Mexican sage then sat and preened. I had great looks at it
and my best guess at an ID is adult female Rufous or Allen's. The bird
pretty much matches the illustrations for adult females of these species in
the Sibley guide except that it has less color on the throat, only a few
spots.
As of 3:30 today (Sun.) it was still hanging around my yard. Hopefully it
will be around for a while.
Steve Wagner
Division of Biological and Physical Sciences
Lander University
Greenwood, SC 29649
Phone: (864) 388-8226, FAX (864) 388-8130
swagner@lander.edu