Eagles as active predators

	I have been witness to two instances of active predation by Bald
Eagles.  The first, in Florida, Janet and I saw a Bald Eagle capture a
Cattle Egret in flight.  Quite a sight!.  According to the land owner, the
Eagle waited for the egret flock to fly across a large "prairie" on its way
back to its roost.  Nightly dinner for the Eagle was the result until the
egrets learned to fly the perimeter of the prairie over trees.

The second, in Alaska, a Bald Eagle captures a nestling Glaucous gull.

Although neither were as large as an adult Canada Goose,  they were not
mere scavenging.

Tom

Tom Krakauer
Bahama, NC