Re: White-winged dove:Brunswick Co

Sorry, didn't realize this had been sent HTML so am resending...other
people use computer...for different projects.
----- Original Message -----
From: Mary McDavit
To: carolinabirds@duke.edu
Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2000 5:48 PM
Subject: White-winged dove:Brunswick Co

C'Birders:  and especially Brunswick County counters

I'm happy to report that we have a White-winged Dove here in Brunswick
Co., specifically mainland Sunset Beach.   It has been frequenting the
open platform feeder in the backyard of the Bush's on 415 Lake Shore
Drive, off of Highway #179.  This is the home that had an immature male
Rufous hummer for a few winter months 2 years ago.  For those of you
familiar with the area, theirs is the backyard that forms a peninsula
into East Lake of the Twin Lakes, where a great many Wood Storks summer
every year.  The bird has been there for 4 days.  Ms. Bush called me
yesterday when she took a good look and realized what she had, and I
rushed over and confirmed.  As we have birded in Texas together and seen
tons of them, there is no doubt.  If you want to visit it, here is the
strategy.  It just sits on the feeder for long periods of time if it
isn't startled.  The feeder can be approached from either side of the
house.  The feeder is about 12 feet from the back of the house on the
left.  Being birders they welcome birders, but it is not necessary to
let them know that you are there.  Don't be surprised if you see some
red squirrels in the yard.  There are semi-resident Red-tailed hawks,
Great Horned Owls, Bald Eagles,  and a very hungry immature
Sharp-Shinned Hawk currently rousting the flock of mostly palm warblers
in the front yard.  A somewhat hostile environment for a misplaced
westerner, but it loves that feeder. (They also get Painted Buntings in
the summer).  There is a good variety of ducks on their lake currently.
(Their stork group has left, but there are still some storks in the
area.)

If you need directions you can contact me, but I may not be here!!
Good Birding, Mary McDavit,  phone:910-579-2446,
Note new E-address:
osprey1@mindspring.com