Re: Blk Bk Gulls, predators

At 09:07 AM 11/17/00 -0500, you wrote:

>  Has anyone else witnessed Great Black-backed Gulls preying on other birds.

Here's my best one, though not in the Carolinas:

Back in the late 70s, I was taking the Cape May (NJ) to Lewes (DE)
ferry.  It was in mid to late Sept.  Scanning the relatively calm waters
with my binoculars, I was astounded to see a PURPLE GALLINULE paddling
along.  Excellent lighting; no question on the ID of the bird.  An
excellent bird that far north.

Suddenly, all hell broke loose in my binocular field as a Great
Black-backed Gull attacked the Gallinule.  It didn't take long.  By the
time the birds were specks on the water as the ferry plowed ahead, the
Gallinule was clearly quite dead.

Extralimitals don't have it easy.

Norm
Norman Budnitz         919-684-3592 (day)
nbudnitz@duke.edu      919-383-0553 (eve)
                        919-660-7293 (fax)

(work)	Department of Biology, Duke University
	Box 90338, Durham NC 27708-0338
(home)	4115 Garrett Drive, Durham NC 27705-8005

PROGRESS: the victory of laughter over dogma.
(Tom Robbins, Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas)