groundhogs?

  Assuming all these reports of groundhogs in the Triangle are
accurate(there are woodchucks, muskrats, and other rodent-like critters
around) I'm wondering if this could be the result of 'pet'groundhogs
folks tired of being released to the wild??? -- a couple yrs.back the TV
news ran a story on the groundhog 'pest' problem out west
and reported that the 'varmints' were now being caught and shipped  around
the country to pet stores for a profit rather than exterminating them. I
would've thought this illegal but have seen them myself in local pet stores
from time-to-time.

**Rob Gluck
  Chapel Hill, NC.
  thrush@hotmail.com

  "And on the fifth day, God created birds.
   (days 1-4 must've been a real drag)"
                      --Leica binocular ad