Saturday at Brickhouse Road.

Stopped by BH Road for 3 hours on Sat pm. I'm still being cheated of
the warblers that most people are seeing now, but got some nice views
of some other birds:

Phoebe 5
B+W warbler 1 f
Peewee 3
Chimney swift 10
B. thrasher 10
E. bluebird 5
RTHB 1
Am. Goldfinch 10+
Indigo Btg 2 f
barred owl 1 h/o
RT hawk 4
RB WP 3
downy WP 2
C. yellowthroat 1 m
summer tanager 1 f
Am robin 1
a thrush sp: looked spotted and rufous enough to be a hermit
C. wren 2
Lots of C.chickadees, T titmice, mockingbirds and cardinals

The peewees and phoebes were a delight to watch catching flies from
the overhead lines along the road. It was the first time I have seen
them "together" in the same binocular/scope view and the twitchy
bobbing of the phoebes' made the peewees look almost stoic as they
perched unmoving, eyeing their prey.

Also dropped in briefly at Holt (?) reservoir and saw a lone G. egret
and more bluebirds and phoebes. The water was perfectly calm and gave
beautiful reflections of the early turning poplars and dogwoods. I
could not see from the car park/boat dock whether there are paths
around the reservoir: does anyone know how accessible it is for
walking?

--
Steve Perry

Receptor Biology Lab, Duke Uni Med Center, Durham, NC

stevep@receptor-biol.duke.edu