Rufous Hummer in Aiken County, SC (and wind report stuff)

Hi Folks,

Today I at last got a rather telling shot of the young female hummer
visiting my feeders. It was preening with its back to me and I got a shot of
the rufous patches on the tail. What a great fall! Three new female hummers
arrived on Sunday (replacing the 3 males I had until mid week last week),
one of which was rather tufted. Unfortunately it did not hang in like the
Ruf. And R-t I have now and was also the most skittish.

I strongly suggest folks go to intellicast.com and look at their "WindCast"
on the occasion (click on "forecasts"). It gives prevailing lower-level
winds at 2AM, 8AM, 2PM and 8PM over 36 to 48 hours. I have been paying
attention to it this fall and have had pretty good luck with "predicting"
what suite of birds might have arrived over the previous day or even that
day. I also have noticed trends like this when checking the bird servers in
the east (at birdingonthe.net).

Cheers
Paul Champlin