VA mountains: Roanoke area

Went for a long weekend to the Roanoke/Blue Ridge Pkway area. Didn't get a
chance to do any birding per se (bad weather, small child), but while
driving the Blue Ridge Pkway near Peaks of Otter Sunday morning had
beautiful sighting of a flock of wild turkeys (about 10). They were
foraging on a dirt side road near the main road. Also saw what was probably
a red-tail hawk swooping down and then tussling with a squirrel by the
roadway!  Both were startled by the car and the squirrel got away. Sorry,
Hawk!

Off-topic for a moment: Also saw deer, of course; I was struck by how large
they were compared to the deer I usually see around the Triangle. Is this
just coincidence?

Cheers,

Paula Mangiafico
Durham, NC