Re: Christmas Bird Counts, Kingbird, and TBG plug

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Ward Linda wrote:

> We spotted the tropical/couch's kingbird at the small
> pond east of hwy 12 on Pea Island, across from the N.
> dike of S. pond. Also had great, extended look a a
> common snipe. A commonyellow throat also popped up.
>
> By the way, does anyone know for sure which bird this
> is? I wouldn't wenture a guess, even with the
> extended, excellent view we had.

The only sure way, other than maybe catching the bird for measurements,
is hearing its call. We even noticed that Kenn Kaufman's field guide
provides photos of Tropical/Couch's without telling which is which!
There's only been one report, which I heard fourth-hand or so at W.O.W.,
of the bird calling; the description sounded vaguely Tropical. Tropical
also seems to be more common as an eastward vagrant.

That Snipe must be hanging around; there was one right near the road
there on Friday too. Also a Sora, on the far end of the pool.

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Karen Bearden wrote:

> Last week Brian mentioned directions to Will Suitt Road are on Will's
> website. I thought I would plug "A Birdwatcher's Guide to the Triangle"
> again by
> saying directions and a description written by Les Todd are also
> included in Wake Audubon's book, in the Upper Falls Lake Area.

I should add that some of the Chatham County waterfowl sites that I cited
in a post earlier this week, plus a few for Orange County sites that I
don't think are on Will's website, are also covered in the Wake Audubon
book. Even for the ones on the web, it's usually more helpful to have it
on paper; I keep a copy in my glove compartment...

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Judy Walker wrote:

> If anyone can tell me when the following Christmas Counts are I would
> greatly appreciate it since I have to get the CBC Newsletter together by
> Sunday. Also if you know of any corrections or can fill in phone and/or
> email information it would also be very helpful.

I can supply a few dates:

> Bodie-Pea Island, NC        Paul Sykes    706-769-9436/542-1237
> paul_sykes@usgs.gov
Friday, December 28

> Cape Hatteras, NC        Harry LeGrand    919-715-8687
> harry.legrand@ncmail.net
Thursday, December 27

> Chapel Hill, NC        Will Cook    919-967-5446    cwcook@duke.edu
Sunday, December 23

> Durham, NC        Mike Schultz    919-490-6761    mschultz@duke.edu
Sunday, December 16

> Falls Lake, NC        Brian Bockhahn    919-676-1027
> birdranger@excite.com
Saturday, December 29

> Jordan Lake, NC        Carol Williamson    919-383-2364
> carolw@sandler-recht.com
Sunday, December 30

> Kitty Hawk, NC        Jeff Lewis    252-473-1086
> egardens@inteliport.com
Saturday, December 15

> Ocracoke, NC        Peter Vankevich    202 547-4523    pvank@cais.net
>
> Portsmouth Island, NC        Peter Vankevich    202 547-4523
> pvank@cais.net
I don't know for sure, but doesn't these two usually come right after the
Bodie/Pea Islands and Hatteras counts? If so, that would place them on
Saturday December 29 and Sunday the 30th, or vice versa.

> Raleigh, NC        John Gerwin    919-715-2600    ncs1416@interpath.com
Saturday, December 15

One you've left off your list is the new Dare Mainland/Alligator River
NWR count. Run by Jeff Lewis, don't know his phone number,
egardens@inteliport.com, Sunday December 16.

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose