The kingbird

Several folks on carolinabirds have referred to the Pea Island kingbird
by "Tropical/Couch's". The bird is a Tropical Kingbird. It may have been
initially written up in the Pea Island visitor center logbook as the
former perhaps because a call was not heard. But, calls have since been
heard, and in my opinion, calls aren't necessary to ID this bird.

Tropical Kingbird has a VERY long bill with a straight culmen (except
perhaps at the very tip). Couch's has a longish bill with a slight curve
to the culmen. Tropical has a slightly deeper V-fork to the tail than
does Couch's. Fortunately, we now have field guides with photos of these
-- the Stokes guides, Audubon guide, and I think Master guide.
Unfortunately, Kaufman copped out in his new book, when he had a chance
to provide some valuable pointers. He threw three of the group in the
book with photos, without distinguishing which was which, saying calls
and range are needed. Even if that were true, he should have labelled
which photo was which. Let the reader judge for himself/herself.

Tropical Kingbird is one of the most abundant birds of Central and South
America. The Pea Island bird probably migrated north from one of these
areas, as did the Fork-tailed Flycatcher (a South American migrant).
Couch's gets south into Mexico, but I'm not sure if it ranges much
farther south.

Thus, one of this pair showing up in NC is much more likely to be a
Tropical. But, the bill length and shape may well be characteristic (and
of course the metallic twittering call of Tropical sounds nothing like
the rough "queer" or "chi-beer" call of Couch's).

NOTE: The bird seen at Lake Mattamuskeet in 1987 was officially listed
as a "Tropical/Couch's" only because a voice recording was never made.
That bird was a Tropical Kingbird, and was identified as such, with
calls heard. Photos were taken, and I think need to be re-examined. Even
if no one got a voice recording of the 2001 Pea Island bird, that does
not change the fact that the bird is a Tropical. If someone made a
recording of the voice (it have been very non-vocal), I'd appreciate
knowing about it, as I am the Chair of the NC Bird Records Committee.
We will be voting on this bird soon, so any photos and written
descriptions will be very helpful, as well.

--
Harry LeGrand
NC Natural Heritage Program