Re: Virus

Hmm... For the last week, a virus has been bouncing all over *another*
bird list I'm on.  In fact, it went out at least once in a message with
"Snowy Owl" as the subject line.  Seems like the same one has reached
Carolinabirds. Just in case, time to update your antivirus software.
Here are some details, from a post to the other list:

**************

This is the BAD_TRANS virus which according to the
virus alert system takes advantage of a flaw in
Outlook and Explorer and opens without assistance
from the recipient.  People who use outlook may not
even know they have it, because they didn't actually
open the attachment themselves.

http://www.antivirus.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_BADTRANS.B

******

More:

The virus going around that zapped several inland birders is called
"Badtrans". There is information on the web about it which can be
found pretty easily. This is
actually a Trojan Horse type virus which needs to be
executed by the reader but apparently MS Outlook Express may try to open
some attachements automatically (like pictures). There is a software patch
available on the
microsoft web site (www. microsoft.com) also the major anti-virus packages
have updated virus defenitions to detect and fix it. It is annoying but
probably not destructive (ie will not delete files etc.) It replicates
itself by replying to unread emails in your mailbox. I believe it only
affects MS Outlook/Outlook Express. The infected emails have a variety of
oddly named attachements. If you get email like this delete it and in most
cases you should be okay.

*****

Chris