Hilton Pond 12/15/01 (Calliope Hummingbird)

HI . . .

Although there was no Calliope Hummingbird at Hilton Pond Center for
Piedmont Natural History this week, one was close--about 12 miles up
the road in Bethany SC. We couldn't resist the chance to make the
short drive to observe, capture, and band this teeny, tiny
hummingbird--which may be only the second or third of its kind
reported from South Carolina.

Details and photos of this rare western vagrant are on our Web site
under "This Week at Hilton Pond" for the week of 15-21 December at
http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek011215.html . You'll also find the
weekly banding totals.

Thanks to Joan & Steve Polley for alerting us about the Calliope, and
to Nancy Newfield for her usual expert input.

Thanks, as always, for visiting our Hilton Pond Web site, and please
forward this e-mail to folks you know who are interested in nature
topics.

Happy Nature Watching . . . and Happy Holidays,

BILL

--

BILL HILTON JR., "The Piedmont Naturalist"
hilton@hiltonpond.org, (803) 684-5852, eFax: (503) 218-0845

Please visit our web sites at http://www.hiltonpond.org and
http://www.rubythroat.org

"Never trust a person too lazy to get up for sunrise or too busy to
watch the sunset."					BHjr.