Re: Tundra Swans/Jordan Lake CBC

I wonder if these could be the same five Tundra Swans that Judy Teague and I
saw on the Jordan Lake CBC last Sunday (12/30)...  After quitting our count
area at Harris Lake (Wake Co.), we headed up to Ebenezer Point and at 3:40
pm a flock of five Tundras flew overhead, heading southeast (towards
Raleigh).  Other birds we poached at the point included 2 Ruddy Ducks, 2
Common Mergansers (male and female), and lots of Horned Grebes.  Two Tundra
Swans were seen on the Chapel Hill CBC at Jordan Lake the week before.

Earlier, in our count area, we did find some ducks on Harris Lake: 9 Wood
Ducks, 250 Ring-necked, 7 Gadwall, 1 Mallard, and 500 Am Coot (honorary
ducks).  Landbirding was very slow, perhaps because of the wind, but we had
five Palm Warblers near the lakeshore, including four in view at one time.
Unfortunately, water level was high, so no possibility for shorebirds.
Jordan Lake is very low right now.

--
Charles W. "Will" Cook                  w 919-660-7423
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook            cwcook@duke.edu