Our NC Big Year - Thanks to Everyone!

My wife, Patricia, and I did a NC Big Year in 2001.  For anyone who does not
know, a Big Year is the attempt to tally as many species as possible within a
certain geographical area in a calendar year.

A Wilson's Warbler (initially discovered on the Wilmington Christmas Count)
seen at Airlie Gardens on 12/31 was our 344th and final species of the year
seen or heard in NC.

To the best of our knowledge, this sets a new NC record, breaking an earlier
record of 339 (adjusted for the sharp-tailed sparrow split) set in 1993.

This was really made possible due to the legion of Carolinabirds posters who
shared their 2001 sightings and enabled us to relocate birds that they had
found!   A good portion of our species would simply not have been recorded if
not for Carolinabirds!  The widespread use of cell phones certainly helped
too!

We are working on a web site in which we will show some Big Year statistics
(mileage, etc..) and list the species recorded.    I'll post to Carolinabirds
when it is up and running.

Thanks to all of you who shared your sightings with us in 2001!

Russ Tyndall
Wake Forest, NC
fitzbew@aol.com