Overwintering GRCA at Jackson Park, Hendersonville, NC

Greetings All, Especially those within driving distance of Hendersonville,
NC, Henderson, CO
(I give this lengthy greetings because I am frustrated about carolinabirders
who think they are just chatting on the neighborhood network and everyone
knows where "Dingleman's Farm" is.  Forgive the digression.)

Tuesday, January 16th
When I parked opposite the Warbler Trail at Jackson Park in Hendersonville
(Henderson County, WNC) I saw Simon Thompson and Barbara Neal chatting.
After joining them, Simon suddenly asked to borrow my binoculars.  Puzzled,
my eyes followed where he was looking.  "There it is, next to the large
tree, a Gray Catbird!"

Sure enough, I saw the gunmetal gray and the dark crown area and even the
dark red under tail coverts.  Most birders don't expect to see Gray Catbirds
at Jackson Park in the middle of January.  He was about 75 yards west of the
warbler trail along the main paved road of the park (Grove St?).  Other
birds that I was glad to list among my precious 14 for the list were Belted
Kingfisher and an immature Red-shouldered Hawk being dutifully harassed by 5
crows.  Something distracted them, perhaps an owl, and they flew off cawing
as they sped.

While driving along Hooper Lane a few minutes later (2 miles E. of Mills
River where RTS 208 and 191 meet.  I stopped my car turned and, in the late
morning sunlight,saw a large light gray hawk perched almost horizontal on a
steel farm gate not more than thirty yards away.  Its fiery red eye drilled
into mine as I focused.  The crown was dark and flat not rounded, and it
showed gray with some vertical steaking on the breast.  The tale was barred
with shades of gray and it had a light terminal band.  A wonderful look at
an adult Cooper's Hawk.  I turned to pick up my camera to photograph the
bird.  Just a turn, a quick focus and those blood red eyes would be mine.
Instead all I saw were wings flapping and its tail bobbing up and down as it
sped away from me.

January 17th
Today, at Jackson Park I managed to find 15 birds and was delighted to see a
Hermit Thrush along the Warbler Trail and a White Crowned Sparrow on the
East end of the park near the water ditch where rails are often seen in the
fall.

Regards,
John Lindfors
mailto: JLindfors@msn.com