Baird's Sandpipers at Falls Lake

This afternoon (Sunday, August 25, 2002), Les Todd, Leto Copeley and I
observed three juvenile Baird's Sandpipers at Falls Lake [Brian, sorry, but
we found the other two less than 3 minutes after you left]. The birds were
seen on the northwest side of the Cheek Road bridge causeway, and we watched
them from 11:45am - 12:30pm. These birds were readily visible from the
causeway.

In general birds were not numerous today. Other sigthings included the
relocation (presumably the same bird) of the Piping Plover, 15 Short-billed
Dowitchers, 5 Sanderlings, and 4 Caspian Terns. We also got scope looks at a
Yellow-billed Cuckoo perched in the open and low in a bare tree (at a
distance of about 30 feet).

Bert Fisher
Durham, NC