Re: Carolina RBA Sept. 5 Update

Hi all,

I am sorry but I do not understand the "rare bird report" idea.
First of all, are Wilson's Phalarope, White-rumped and Baird's Sandpipers really
RARE species in Carolinas? It includes Reeve but no other shorebirds from Falls
Lake like Piping Plover (which is probably real rare birds in this list), why?
Nevertheless that report doesn't even cover a 10% of all of these numbers already
reported in CarolinaBirds! So what is the idea? These records present in Rare
Bird Alert are only "phone sources" or maybe nobody care about all of these
people who send their data to this forum? Not all of our records are perfect
(like my Willow Flycatcher this spring) but if there are any doubts just ask (see
also case of mystery Snowy Owl) and discuss.
So from my point of few (as an ex-member of Polish Rarities Committee) that
report should include (with some comments if necessary) all species and numbers
reported on that forum otherwise it could be out of date from the very beginning.

waiting for reports during the weekend

Mike

PS. It is not my yard but I had from my window, just above the house Common
Nighthawk, another species to my "window list" (which could be equivalent of yard
list in my case... I hope)

PiephoffT@aol.com wrote:

> hotline: Carolina Rare Bird Alert
> date: September 5, 2002
> number: 704-332-2473
> to report: 704-332-2473 or 704-532-6336 or PiephoffT@aol.com
> coverage: North and South Carolina statewide
> compiler: Taylor Piephoff for the Carolina Bird Club
>
> Hello, this is a September 5 update of the Carolina Rare Bird Alert featuring
> birding news from North and South Carolina sponsored by the Carolina Bird
> Club, Highlights on this report include:
>
> BAIRD'S SANDPIPERS
> WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPERS
> UPLAND SANDPIPER
> WILSON'S PHALAROPES
> RUFF (REEVE)
>
> Up to 3 BAIRD'S SANDPIPERS, 3 WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPERS and 1 UPLAND SANDPIPER
> were present Sept. 2 at the Bucksport Sod Farm in Bucksport, SC (Horry
> County).
>
> A REEVE was seen at Falls Lake (NC) on 9-2. This bird was not relocated later
> that day and has not been reported since. Interested birders can call Les
> Todd for details at 919-741-0440.
>
> WILSON'S PHALAROPES have been the most notable shorebird sightings at Pea
> Island NWR for the last couple of weeks. 4 have been present since 8-19.
>
> Selasphorus hummingbirds have been reported already from Allegheny County
> (NC),
> Swansboro, NC, Wilmington, NC and Charlotte, NC.  These birds stayed at the
> feeders for only a day or two. The Swansboro bird may still be present.
> Contact Jamie Cameron at  <bullbat@hotmail.com> to see if its still around.
>
> Thanks this week to Jamie Cameron, Jim Coman, Jack Peachey, Dennis Burnette,
> Doug Gill and Jonathan Meythaler for their calls and reports. Some of this
> information was gleaned from Carolinabirds.
>
> Taylor Piephoff
> Charlotte, NC
> PiephoffT@aol.com

Michal Skakuj  Ph.D.