Re: Carolina RBA Sept. 5 Update

Mike:
        I feel compelled to attempt to answer your recent comments
concerning the RBA.  In my opinion, the RBA is a way of reporting unusual
birds that are being found out of their normally expected geographical
locations in the Carolinas.   It is not intended to report all the birds
seen in the Carolinas, it merely highlights the most interesting or unusual
birds reported during a specific period.  Is this RBA perfect, no, but it's
the system we have.  It is in no way meant to be a scientific, fool proof
system.  It merely attempts to bring to the attention of the birding
community in the Carolinas, field reports concerning oddities or rarities.
Interested parties may then chose to follow these leads if so inclined.
There are no guarantees as to the accuracy of these reports, but it at least
alerts the birding world in the Carolinas of unusual sightings.  In many
cases, by alerting others, it may help  prove or disapprove the validity of
the reported sighting.
        As in examples sited by Mike, no, Wilson's Phalaropes, White-rumped
S/P or Baird's S/P are not that rare in the coastal Carolinas.  However, all
of these species are very unusual, if not rare,  away from the coast or in
the mountains.  For folks away from the coast, these sightings would be
noteworthy, and most of us would like to know about them.
        A mere report of a rarity is no guarantee it's the real thing.
Establishing the validity of a sighting is dependant on reports submitted by
the observer to the Records Committee.  After the Records Committee reviews
these reports, they either approve or disapprove the sighting for the
official record.
        In closing, I think Mike needs to realize where he is, and how
things are done here in the Carolinas.  In the scientific world, Mike is way
ahead of most who use this forum.   This is not a scientific forum, it is a
listserve
that is used by all levels of birders in the Carolinas and I believe it
serves us well!
Best regards,
Wayne K. Forsythe
Newest member of the NC Records Committee

Wayne K. Forsythe
Hendersonville, N. C. 28791
828-697-6628
wforsythe@a-o.com