Blue Ridge Parkway birding

Yesterday morning (9/29) the Blue Ridge Parkway in southern VA/northern NC
was swarming with migrants.  I covered the stretch from Fancy Gap VA to
milepost 229 in NC.  I was planning to visit Mahogany Rock (mp 235) but
didn't quite make it.  Around noon at mp 229 I noticed Doug Shadwick parked
on the shoulder. He'd just come from Mahogany Rock and hadn't seen much, so
I decided to head back north.

Highlights were 17 warbler species, all 5 of the expected vireos (no
Warbling, which I've never seen in fall migration), all 6 thrush species
(including good looks at several Gray-cheeked and a Bicknell's), and lots of
Scarlet Tanagers and Rose-breasted Grosbeaks.

No rare warblers, but good diversity and numbers.  Most common were
Tennessee and Cape May -- several dozen of each.  Still not many Bay-
breasteds yet.  Bay-breasted is often the most common bird up there in late
fall.  Still some southern species coming through (Worm-eating and Hooded)
and no Blackpoll or Myrtle.  Got my first Ruby-crowned Kinglet of the fall,
though.

The most common thrush was Swainson's. The Bicknell's (which was near mp
206.5 in Virginia) I can't really be sure about, though I got a very close
look, heard call notes, and heard it sing a whisper-song.  I sorta wish
they'd re-lump it with Gray-cheeked!

Some of the best birding spots were the edges of a field at mp 206.5, a spot
near a small stream just south of the border at mp 217.0 (almost always
something good here), and the trail at Cumberland Knob (about mp 218) -
upslope from the visitor's center, just after you get into the woods.  Just
about any spot along the parkway can be good in fall migration - stop any
time you hear bird noises or see something flying across the road.

Good birding!

--
Charles W. "Will" Cook                  w 919-660-7423
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook            cwcook@duke.edu