Oddie and two new books by Carolina birders

The recent messages mentioning Bill Oddie's Little Black Bird Book had
people asking me where you could find it, since it's not in the ABA catalog.
I haven't seen any of the others, but the Little Black Bird Book is about
the funniest and most insightful book on birding and birding psychology (or
psychosis) I've read.  According to a search on bn.com, this and a couple of
others by him, are still in print, so you could get them there, or order
them through your local bookstore.
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?WRD=bill+oddie

In other book news, there are a couple of new books out by North Carolina
ecologists who also happen to be birders.

My boss, Rob Jackson, in addition to being a prominent plant ecologist, is a
birder and member of New Hope Audubon Society.  His new book "The Earth
Remains Forever: Generations at a Crossroads" is about our planet's current
environmental plight and hope for the future.  The book isn't primarily
about birds, but in one passage he reflects on a personal encounter with
specimens of two of the most famous extinct birds in the Duke collection
-- the Carolina Parakeet and the Passenger Pigeon.

Here's the blurb from the publisher:
"Writing especially for people who've tuned out the environmental debate,
Rob Jackson persuasively argues that we're at a crucial turning point in
environmental history, where choices we make now will determine the quality
of life into the unforeseeable future. Laying out the scientific facts in
plain language and with flashes of humor, he shows how the escalation of
population growth and resource consumption in the twentieth century caused
problems from ozone depletion to global warming, habitat destruction, and
biodiversity loss. At the same time, however, he highlights ongoing
solutions to these problems and ways in which we can create a sustainable
future for subsequent generations and all life on earth. His urgent message
is not that we've already failed, but that we can succeed. "

More information about his book is at
http://www.biology.duke.edu/jackson/book0.html

There are two scheduled local readings:

- Tuesday, November 5; 7:00 p.m.
  Regulator Bookshop, 720 Ninth Street, Durham, NC 27705
  (sponsored by New Hope Audubon Society)

- Thursday, December 5; 7:30 p.m.
  Quail Ridge Books, 3522 Wade Avenue, Raleigh, NC 27607

Another NC birder, Rob Bierregaard, who's given talks at CBC meetings and is
a subscriber to Carolinabirds, has a new book out on the effects of
habitat fragmentation on tropical forest ecosystems.  See below for more
information (originally posted to Ecolog-L).