Planting at Beaver Lake bird sanctuary

Asheville-area friends, please join the fun at a planting day at Beaver
Lake Bird Sanctuary on Saturday Nov. 16, beginning at 9 a.m.  Volunteers
will be planting up to 300 native shrubs (many of them quite small) in
areas cleared of invasive exotics by a work crew of UNCA students
supervised by ecologist Reed Roussell.

WE NEED:  Square-bladed spades -- please bring one (borrow one from a
neighbor if you can), and put an identifying label on it.  If you have
high-topped rubber boots, bring them, too.

THE SCHEME:  Flags will designate where we will plant various plants.
We'll team people up to work with groups of plants in designated areas.

SNACKS:  We'll have some warm beverages and snacks to keep your energy
level up.

PLS RSVP:  It would help me greatly to know how many folks are coming.

BAD WEATHER DATE: If the weather is bad, I'll send an announcement about a
new date -- probably it will be the following afternoon.

DIRECTIONS:  The sanctuary, owned/managed by Elisha Mitchell Audubon, is on
Merrimon Ave. about two miles north of I-240 in downtown Asheville.  After
you pass an Ingle's supermarket on your right, look for the Beverly-Hanks
real estate office on the left.  The sanctuary is on the left beyond a
guard rail.  If you're coming from the north, the north Asheville exit on
US 19-23 feeds into Merrimon, which takes you southeast to the sanctuary
after you pass the lake.

Len Pardue, coordinator
Beaver Lake Bird Sanctuary