Birding in Horry & Georgetown Cos.

Carolina Birders,

Several of us from the Piedmont Bird Club in Guilford County, NC will be
heading for Huntington Beach State Park and vicinity over Thanksgiving. We
have gotten some ideas for local day trips from several of the nearby folks
(thanks again!), but it occurs to me that casting a wider net among
Carolinabirds folks might result in more ideas for sites to fill our four
birding days in Horry and Georgetown Counties. Specifically:

There have been several postings on Carolinabirds that involve piers. Which
piers currently are birder friendly places for us to look for sea birds?

We would like to find Red-cockaded Woodpeckers, but have failed to do so near
Brookgreen Gardens on the last few trips. Any other ideas?

After we have checked the coastal sites, are there some inland locations
where interesting species might be found, i.e. longspurs, pipits, horned
larks, and so on?

Other than HBSP, are there other ponds or lakes that would be worth checking
for waterfowl?

In other words, if you were going to spend four days at the end of November
birding in Horry and Georgetown Counties, where would you go?

Thanks!

Dennis Burnette
Greensboro, NC
burnetted@aol.com