Re: Pileated

Alex N. inquired....
I am curious; I have been a birder for most of my 51 years, and have never
seen this great woodpecker eating suet. Plus, I am rather a duffer about
feeding them, so I don't always know what who eats. Anyone know of a good
suet that Pileateds might be interested in?

not sure which suet would most attractive them but an alternative technique might interest
you as written about in Birdwatcher's Digest (Sept-Oct. 2002) by our own
Pat Coin!! It basically involves spreading corn syrup or molasses on a tree near
your viewing window or a stump or branch brought into your yard (or drilling holes in the
wood and filling with the syrup) to attract woodpeckers, who come both for the 'sap' and for the
insects it attracts. Either Pat or someone else once told me of attracting a Pileated this way
(....as I drooled). If you're out there Pat feel free to fill in any details as I don't have your article in
front of me.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

**Rob Gluck............ Chapel Hill, NC............ thrush@hotmail.com