Re: Pileated

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Alex Netherton wrote:

> I am curious; I have been a birder for most of my 51 years, and have never
> seen this great woodpecker eating suet. Plus, I am rather a duffer about
> feeding them, so I don't always know what who eats. Anyone know of a good
> suet that Pileateds might be interested in?

Hi C-birders,

My parents' place up in Massachusetts has had Pileateds in the
neighborhood for many years, but they've never come anywhere near the (raw
beef) suet. Only one thing we've done has ever caught their attention: at
one point, my father cut a dead tree into several three-foot lengths and
used them as a sort of border around the garden out back. Several times
after that both Northern Flickers and Pileateds flew down to chisel at
these logs. So if you have to remove a dead tree or large dead limb
because it's threatening to fall on your house, make a big pile of the
dead wood in your backyard, and perhaps the Pileateds will pay you a few
visits...

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose