Pileated

Hi folks;
I have been seeing a Pileated in my neighborhood lately. They have always
been here as long as I can remember. The "old folks" call them "Wood Hen"
due to the cackling sound they make. According to some reports, they and the
Ivory Bill (Probably Ivorybill) were called "Lord 'a God" in the South, as
in "what a *big* woodpecker.
I have seen this one on a neighbor's Red Maple tree, which has a nice big
knot hole with a lot of beetles in it.
I am curious; I have been a birder for most of my 51 years, and have never
seen this great woodpecker eating suet. Plus, I am rather a duffer about
feeding them, so I don't always know what who eats. Anyone know of a good
suet that Pileateds might be interested in?
Alex Netherton
alex@alexnetherton.com
Asheville, NC