Ft. Fisher King Eider - Yes

Carolina Birders,

The 1st winter female King Eider was relocated this
morning about 10:15 just slightly south of where it was
seen yesterday.   At the State Historic Site ocean
side, there is a gazebo overlooking the north end of
the rock groin built to slow the erosion.  Out in front
of the gazebo and groin there are remnants of a prior
jetty that can be seen at 1/2 tide and below.  The bird
was seen originally on the water just south of the
jetty remnants.  When I walked down from the Ocean
Dunes area to the gazebo to get a better look, the bird
had left the water and was clambering around on the
sand amongst the jetty remains feeding on something at
the bases of these rocks.  Subsequently it reentered
the ocean and preened while being carried by the wind
and/or current south to a point directly offshore from
the most northerly handicapped parking spot south of
the museum at the ocean overlook.  From here, its
preening accomplished, it proceeded to swim north to
the areas from whence it had come.

While walking to the gazebo from the beach access at
Ocean Dunes, I spotted a Dovekie on the wing flying by
me from south to north and passing me at no more than
60 feet.

Bruce Smithson
318 W. Blackbeard Rd.
Wilmington, NC  28409