Northern Waterthrush in Carteret County, NC

This morning I was very surprised to encounter a Northern Waterthrush in
a floodplain in the southeastern Croatan National Forest, north of the
Walkers Millpond.  This is the first one I have ever seen in winter.

To me, equally surprising was the location.  I would be less surprised
to encounter one in winter on a barrier island or at least adjacent to
tidal water.  Where I saw the bird, it has probably been down into the
lower 20's this winter.  It was pretty feisty though.

John Fussell
Morehead City, NC
jfuss@clis.com

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses by Cape Lookout Mail Server]