Re: bird haters?

LEAH CAMPBELL wrote:

I am confused and disturbed by some folks' sentiment that birds are "nasty creatures." I cannot begin to fathom the resoning behind this notion. Some will say that birds carry diseases;

Do they mean bird diseases are worse than our human-transmitted smallpox, poliomyelitis, or syphilis and other STDs?

others are repulsed by bird droppings.

The amazing thing about people is that since their droppings get flushed down the toilet--along with all sorts of other contaminants, flotsam, and jetsam--they figure the waste just disappears; out of sight, out of mind. Maybe they should live downstream from themselves for a while. In addition, I've yet to see a bird that fouls the air with sulfur emissions, particulate lead, or similar pollutants or that casts off beer bottles or cigarette butts while flying through the air.

However, in my mind, a bird's beauty and charm so greatly outweighs any negative aspect.

Aesthetics aside, beauty lies in function, not appearance--and birds seem to function very nicely as part of a balanced environment. We humans should do so well.

What should I say to the next person who tells me "birds are nasty"?

"Takes one to know one?" (Or how about "Show me how a bird is more nasty than a human.")

I would love to have a great comeback, but I'm usually too stunned to say anything.

Perhaps the best thing to do is take the offenders by the hand and help them look at a bird for more than a fraction of a second. Seize the teachable moment, and share something interesting you know about the bird you're observing. Then lend the people a bird book, some binoculars, and a hummingbird feeder. Surely even these curmudgeons wouldn't think that nectar-eating HUMMINGBIRDS are nasty! :-)

Happy nature watching,

BILL
--

BILL HILTON JR., Executive Director
hilton@hiltonpond.org, (803) 684-5852, eFax: (503) 218-0845

The mission of Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History is "to conserve plants, animals, and other natural components of the Piedmont Region of the eastern United States through observation, scientific study, and education for students of all ages." Please visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net) at http://www.hiltonpond.org and
http://www.rubythroat.org .

"Never trust a person too lazy to get up for sunrise or too busy to
watch the sunset."					BHjr.