Western Grebe near Asheville, NC

Thanks to a call from Tim Lewis, I got out to Lake Julian in southern
Buncombe County late this afternoon and found the Western Grebe that he and
Lori Unruh discovered earlier in the day.

I saw the grebe about half-way across the lake as I looked toward the CP&L
power station from Lake Julian Park.  Visibility ranged from good to poor,
because of wind-blown mists rising off the water.  But in both binocular
and scope views there was no mistaking the bird's profile or coloration.  A
coot nearby provided size and shape contrast.

To get to Lake Julian Park, take Long Shoals Road (NC 146) east from I-26
(exit 6) or west from Hendersonville Rd (US 25).   The park entrance is
opposite Overlook Rd.

Len Pardue
Asheville, NC