scarce pine warblers?

Adding to the thread about birds in abundance or lack-there-of this winter,
I've noticed pine warblers to be in low numbers this year (at least so
far).  Last winter the trees ringing the lot where I park at Duke were full
of them: so far this (almost) winter I have not heard one.  We also found
only one individual during the Durham CBC Sunday (we counted at the Old
Oxford Highway impoundment vicinity).  Is it early yet - or has anyone else
noticed this?
Laura Lewis-Tuffin
Durham, NC