C Hill Waterfowl and Owl

Dear all:
I shimmied out to the farm ponds at Anilorac Farm on Dairyland Road this
morning and instead of the usual brooding Great Blue Herons found a
bonanza of waterfowl on the two ponds. There was a huge flock of 166 wild
Canada Geese on the front pond and on the back pond was a nice
combination of ducks: 3 Hooded Mergansers, 4 Gadwall, 4 Ring Necked Ducks,
6 Mallards and 2 male Shovellers. To those of you on the coast this may
not sound like much to crow about but I have never seen such an assemblage
on these ponds.

THe other thing i wanted to ask about was that I have a Barred Owl that
has taken up its roost in the margin of woods behind my house. I
occasionally hear it call but yesterday as I trooped in after doing the
Chapel Hill bird count I both heard and saw it in the fading light of day.
I am pretty sure that although my home is well within the CH count circle
, that no one actually birded these woods. So I would like to report this
Barred Owl fo rthe Chapel Hill bird count but am not sure of what the
rules are if one of the official counters did not encounter the bird on
their beat. I myself was one of the official participant but not in my
neighbourhood. My address is 103 Pleasant Drive which is right behind the
Harris Teeter in downtown Carrboro. Was this area covered by anyone for
the count? Could someone let me know what the count policy is on such
stray birds. I would like this Owl to count.

Shantanu-

SHANTANU PHUKAN
Lecturer in Urdu-Hindi & Indian Literature
University of N. Carolina, Chapel Hill
Curriculum in Asian Studies
Alumni Hall 413C
Chapel Hill, N.C. 27599