Re: Strange gull at Avon, NC

Hi,

It is hard to ID immature gulls with no proportions in description (was
it long-winged, short-legged or rather long-legged with short primary
projection). However what we have here looks mostly like 3rd winter
plumage (light eye but head and neck very dirty, mostly gray mantle with
brownish splotches, no white on blackish wing tips). In the other hand
dark tail with white outer edge suggest rather second winter plumage, as
well as dark bill.  The color features fit (for me) to California,
Lesser Black-becked (graellsii) or small female of American Herring.
Slaty-backed, Western and Yellow-footed are rather too dark and big
gulls with massive bills, Black-tailed is very slender, long-billed gull
with rather uniformly brownish neck and head in immature plumage.
Nevertheless for that combination od features the most likely for me is
Lesser Black-backed (mottled all head, neck and breast) which
occasionally  may look not so dark gray. However these are only
speculations and guessing.

Mike