Falls Lake CBC

The Falls Lake CBC was held on December 28, 2002.  With a high of 25
participants we had a near low of 88 species were recorded on count day.
Recent warm temps along with an increase in duck hunting pressure
resulted in low numbers of waterfowl, and where were the Blackbirds?

Highlights were a first count MERLIN and two Loggerhead Shrike (new to
count day).  Other good finds were 22 Palm Warbler, 4 Blue-headed Vireo
from 3 parties and 1 Gray Catbird.  Becoming regular were 1 Fish Crow, 3
Lesser and 4 Greater Black-backed Gulls.  Irruptives were represented by
only 1 Purple Finch, 1 Red-breasted Nuthatch and 2 Pine Siskin.

Count week were Green-winged Teal and Barred Owl (Too many cars on the
road to hear one on count day!!!!)

Misses were Pintail, Canvasback, Scaup, RB Merganser, N Harrier, Am Coot,
House Wren, All Blackbirds!, and I'm proud to say House Sparrow.

I'm also proud to say that after three years missed, 2 Northern Bobwhite
were reported.

Brian Bockhahn
State Park Ranger
Falls Lake CBC Compiler