Remembering Bob Hader

Hi all. Its with fondness and sadness that I note the passing of  Bob
Hader (his obituary is in todays News & Observer). Those of us who have
been birding in North Carolina through the years knew Bob as a
passionate birder, and a wonderful guy. He was a consumate keeper of
records, befitting his profession as a Professor of Statistics at NCSU,
and in combining his professional expertise in working w/ probability
and his personal interests in birds, well, he saved the thesis of many a
graduate student in wildlife...and I speak from personal experience. Bob
was the compiler of the Raleigh Christmas and Spring Bird Counts for
many years, and knew the most birdy habitats across the Triangle. He
could always be counted on for luring rails from their marshy habitats
with this tape player, and visiting the local landfills to find the odd
gull or fish crow for our counts. Bob coined the phrase about Greenview
Pond..."every rare bird that has ever been seen in Raleigh has, at one
time or another, been seen at Greenview." And Bob 'discovered' Anderson
Point. Wake Audubon paid tribute to Bob Hader in its foreward of the
Birdwatcher's Guide to the Triangle...indeed we will miss him.
A memorial service is scheduled for Monday, January 20 at 2 pm at
Raleigh's Our Savier Lutheran Church. John Connors @ NC Museum of
Natural Sciences