one example of why you never leave your binos in the car...

Birders,

It could only happen to me of course. After a half-day falconry outing in
pursuit of cottontails with Red-tailed and Harris Hawks, my lovely companion
and I retired at mid-afternoon thinking that all hope for an observed act of
predation was lost for the day. After dinner in Wilkesboro, we took a stroll
around the Wilkes Community College Pond Trail expecting little in the way
of avian action. While walking along the creek through a small grove of
trees we were so blessed as to have a Cooper's Hawk male fly in directly
toward us and when about 30 feet away snatch an unidentified passerine out
of the air that was madly climbing upward in a last-ditch attempt to elude
its pursuer. The hawk conveniently landed just across the stream about 25
feet away and plucked its catch while we watched with much pleasure, having
a clear view. It was a quarter of 6:00, so light was fading fast and of
course I only had in mind to see waterfowl on the pond for which I would not
have needed binoculars. I really would have liked to know the species of the
unfortunate entree. Also, a female Coop flew in and landed on a nearby
powerline and later chased some kind of avian prey in the parking lot of the
UPS facility. Quite a show after the show.

By the way, for those who will be in the area come spring migration time,
the WCC Pond & Gardens area is an excellent place to observe spring
migrants. My life Blackpoll Warblers were seen there. It is located off Hwy
268 W, near the intersection with Hwy 421 in Wilkesboro.

Eric Harrold
Charlotte, NC