Goldfinch feathers

"Anyone beginning to notice a gradual brightening of goldfinch feathers? I
saw one male today with bright yellow patches on his back. I know individual
birds molt at different times, but I wasn't expecting this  until later in
the season."

Um, my Ornithology professor, when I was making an ill fated attempt at a
graduate degree, seemed to think it was gradual feather wear that uncovered
the yellow on Goldfinch feathers; I do not in fact know if they undergo a
moult at this time, but it is an interesting conondrum....

Alex Netherton
The Appalachian Naturalist
Asheville, NC
alex@alexnetherton.com