RE: I-40 bird kills--Raleigh

I sent a note to the South Carolina DOT with a link to the article and
received this response:

Harry Davis-Thank you for providing me the link to the article
concerning thorny elaeagnus and bird kill.  I was not aware of this
problem. The amount of thorny elaeagnus planted on SC rights of way is
minimal and I printed out
the article to show to my designers.    I have used it in front of noise
barriers in the past but the bird kill photo convinced me to use
substitutes. There are other shrunb that can be substituted for thorny
elaeagnus. Thanks,
Timothy Edwards
Landscape Architect
Office Of Beautification Programs