CBC Newsletter info, scoters, and goldeneye

Howdy!

Some of you already know I have taken over the role as newsletter
editor for the Carolina Bird Club. I finished the February newsletter
Jan. 10, then it went to the printer, the addressing service, and
finally the post office in Raleigh. They were delivered to the post
office on Jan 23, but I still haven't even received mine, and I live in
Raleigh!! GRRR!!!

Derb Carter made the announcement of another CBC Colorado grouse trip
last week at the
CBC meeting in Washington. Information about the trip is in the "CBC
Newsletter" with instructions to pre-register, postmarked no earlier
than February 3. Since February 3 is next Monday, I thought it would be
helpful to make this announcement on Carolinabirds for CBC members,
since the newsletters take so long to get delivered to some areas.

This might be a mistake to ask this question (I can hear Clyde and Judy
now), but let me know when you receive your newsletter. It will be good
to know where the hang up is happening with them. Since they go out
third class, they may sit awhile in the office I hear.

On a birding note, Jill, Judy, Shelley, and I saw the White-winged
Scoters and Common Goldeneye at Lake Crabtree this afternoon. Joe, Jeff,
and Will also came during their lunch hour, plus Bob came a little
later. All of a sudden it seemed like an impromptu Chapel Hill Bird Club
field trip!!!

Below you'll see the grouse article, plus an invitation from Tennessee
Ornithological Society.

Happy birding! Karen Bearden
chickadeebirders@earthlink.net

Another CBC Grouse Trip Planned to Colorado April 15-20, 2003

After Derb Carter led the successful CBC trip to Colorado in April 2001,
he received many requests for another trip. This trip will begin in
Denver on April 15 and conclude on April 20. Cost will be $500 and cover
all ground transportation, lodging, and fees. Birders will visit leks of
Greater and Lesser Prairie Chicken, Greater and Gunnison Sage Grouse,
and Sharp-tailed Grouse, looking for other Colorado specialties enroute.

Pre-register (postmarked no earlier than February 3) by sending your
name, address, phone number, and email address (plus $100 deposit
payable to CBC) to: CBC Headquarters Secretary, 11 West Jones Street,
Raleigh, NC 27601-1029. Limit is 13 participants with priority to first
registrations received. For more information contact Derb at:
919-833-4859 or derbc@msn.com.

An Evening for the Birds-February 7

An invitation to CBC members! Join the Chattanooga chapter of the
Tennessee Ornithological Society and the Tennessee Wildlife Resources
Agency for An Evening for the Birds, a benefit featuring Kenn Kaufman, a
bird expert, author, and artist, and Choogie Kingfisher, a renowned,
traditional Cherokee storyteller. The evening takes place at the
Chattanooga Choo-Choo on Friday, February 7, 2003 at 6:30 pm. The event
will benefit the Cherokee Memorial Park to be built on the Hiwassee
Wildlife Refuge and conservation projects protecting Sandhill and
Whooping Cranes, and other migratory birds. Admission is $15 and
includes a ticket to sample desserts donated from restaurants throughout
the Chattanooga area. For lodging, the Chattanooga Choo-Choo is offering
a special $69 package (call 1-800-872-2529).

The event officially kicks off the 11th Annual Cherokee and Sandhill
Crane Viewing Weekend, held each year in Birchwood, Tennessee. There you
can view Bald Eagles, thousands of Sandhill Cranes, and enjoy numerous
presentations. For event details or to purchase a ticket, go to
www.chattanoogatos.org or call (423) 886-4130. For more information
contact Dr. David Aborn at 423-425-5236 or David-Aborn@utc.edu.