Ross Goose

I just saw the Ross Goose after striking out yesterday and almost coming
to the conclusion that the Dairyland birds were avoiding me personally
(I have still to see those wraiths: the Longspurs).

Anyway, the Ross was feeding--rather feverishly I thought--in the corn
stubble in the huge field opposite the entrance to Mapleview Farm. It
was right behind the abandoned trailers that are opposite the entrance
road into the farm.

The most interesting thing I noticed was that though about half the size
of Canada Geese, this is rather a feisty little thing. In the ten or so
minutes I watched it chased away Canadas thrice, and all they had done
was get a little too close to it. As a result it was surrounded by a
halo of no-Canadas as it moved through the stubble.

The Pipits flew tauntingly overhead in a flock bigger than any I have
yet seen at Dairyland. But of course the Longspurs remain incorporeal.

Shantanu

PS To Mike Swaim: Mike if you read this I am very interested in buying
that Nikon Scope, but have lost your email. Please let me know what you
have decided
Thanks
SP