Re: the motionless Downy

While it is very true that flying or perching hawks are the usual cause of
birds freezing, there is one other occurrence that can cause this phenomenon.
One day when I was living in Massachusetts, I noticed ALL of my feeder birds
freeze for what seemed like an interminably long time. I went out and could
not see any hawks either perched or flying. I took note of the time and the
next day a thought occurred to me. I called the local meteorlogical station
and found out that we had a minor earth tremor at that exact time and
duration. It was so minor that people couldn't feel it - BUT the birds could!

Dave Osborn
Zebulon, N.C.
davezeb@aol.com