Orioles and Gr. Backyard bird count

I was just taking a look at Cornell's website for the Greater Backyard Bird count that's
going on this weekend.

Was a little surprised to find that my wintering Baltimore Oriole's got a fair amount of
company.  There are 18 reports in for NC so far, not including mine, totalling 38 birds.
I need to go back to the site and look at past years, maybe the numbers are similar.

We're ending up with more sleet than freezing rain just south of Chapel Hill, so there's
not much ice accumulation on branches so far.  Had my first Fox Sparrow show up under
the feeders this winter, and am having to go out and scrape the slush off the top of my
Oriole's nectar feeder, but am also feeding him mealworms.

Shelley Theye

Shelley Theye
N. Chatham County, NC
veery@bellsouth.net