Western Tanager still there/not the Calliope

Our first try for the Summerville, S.C., Western Tanager a couple
of weeks ago went up in smoke--literally, due to the next-door neighbor
burning all the damp leaves (ideal compost ingredients) and making a ruckus.

It is with great pleasure then that I can report seeing him this morning
(the Tanager, not the neighbor) at around 10:40am, following a wait of
about 10 minutes.  Others who go should note that he came to the back side
of the hanging feeder next to the house, out of sight from my location
across the street, but another alert birder called my attention to the bird.
It was exciting to see the reddish color on his head and the bold yellow
shoulder stripes, among other things.  I could not relocate him in the
next 15 minutes (reports are that he comes to feed only every couple of
hours).

BTW the Calliope Hummingbird at our own home in Irmo was last spotted
February 8.  I left town for a week, and he could be continuing to come
on occasion, but the fluid level has not been dropping noticeably.  If
he reappears, I will post it.

Jerry Griggs
Columbia, SC