RE: Nelson's et al

Just one clarification on the location of the Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow,
the bird is always mentioned as being on or near a "mound."  Just note that
this is no major pile of dirt.  The top of the mound is probably less than a
foot above the water and it is probably  no more than five feet long and two
or three feet wide.  Also, the bush is probably no more than 3 feet high.  So
don't be looking for some big hill in the field because you won't find one.

Otherwise, I stopped by Hooper Lane on the way home last night and the big
Horned Lark/L. Longspur flock was still there.  I'd say the flock was about 60
or 70 birds strong.  Many of the Longspurs were really getting into breeding
plumage.  There was also a flock of several thousand blackbirds/grackles that
flew over.  There was also a flock of about 13 Lesser Scaup at Lake Julian.
Signs of spring on its way.  Yippee!

Marilyn

Marilyn Westphal
Environmental Quality Institute